The UPS guide to improving your shipping operation, one step at a time. This month, learn how to set up alerts that communicate information to your customers.
Increased customer satisfaction is key to your company's success. You need to do everything possible to keep your customers informed. One simple but powerful way to do that is to provide them with timely notifications about their shipments.
With Quantum View Notify®, UPS automatically e-mails your customers, providing them with information about their shipments, including:
- When a shipping request is received by UPS
- Where there is a potential delay (called an "exception"), for example, a delay caused by inclement weather
- When the shipment has been delivered
What notifications can do for you
E-mails increase customer satisfaction by reducing customer uncertainty, and also can reduce the number of "where is my order (WISMO)" calls you receive. Because Quantum View Notify e-mail notifications can be sent to up to five addresses per package, you could even send e-mail notifications to your customer service staff so that they are ready for any incoming calls. They can also proactively reach out to your customers about exceptions.
Setting up notifications
When processing a shipment using UPS WorldShip®:
- Enter the Ship To information and select Options.
- Select Quantum View Notify, then choose Recipients.
- Enter up to five e-mail addresses, then select one or more notification types: Ship, Exception and Delivery.
- You can also type a personalized message in the Memo field that will be included in all of the e-mail notifications.
- To set up fixed notifications preferences for all of your shipments, select the Profile Editor under the UPS WorldShip Tools menu and choose the Options tab. Next, select Quantum View Notify and then choose Recipients. Select which notification(s) to send (you may choose any or all of Ship, Exception and Delivery) for future shipments. WorldShip will then automatically enter the Ship To recipient's e-mail in your address book unless specified otherwise. WorldShip, therefore, lets you create customer-specific profiles to meet each customer's notification needs.
When shipping on ups.com or with UPS CampusShip®:
- Select Send E-mail Notifications under Add Shipping Services in Step 4 (meaning, the fourth screen of the process) of the Create a Shipment process, then choose Next.
- Enter up to five e-mail addresses, and then select one or more notification types: Ship, Exception and Delivery.
- Enter, if you wish, a personalized message in the Personal E-mail Message field. The message will be included in e-mail notifications.
- To set up notification preferences for all your shipments, select the Preferences link on the menu to the left of the page. Under Quantum View Notify, enter up to five e-mail addresses. For each address, select which notification(s) to send (you may choose any or all of Ship, Exception and Delivery) for future shipments. Last, select Update to complete the set notification preferences process.
Do you like this kind of article? Rate it! Or comment by selecting "Add Comment" below this article.